WHO CAN BE A TUTOR
- Individuals who have an interest in helping other adults reach educational goals and who are willing to participate in on-going training.
- High School graduates who are 18 years of age or older
What Training time is required?
- Approximately 15 hours of initial training
- Initial training workshops are scheduled over a two month period.
- Additional periodic training workshops each year.
Where do tutors meet with students?
At our office at 124 West Buffalo Street
Places convenient for our students, such as:
- Cornell Campus
- Groton Public Library
- Ithaca College Campus
- Ithaca Wegman's
- Tompkins County Public Library
- Ulysses Philomathic Library in Trumansburg
- West Village
Tutor Job Description
- Be available for tutoring for at least one year.
- Work with a student to establish, meet, and revise specific short-term and long-term goals.
- Meet with a small group or with individual students a minimum of 2 hours per week.
- Attend on-going training while matched with students or a group.
- Report cancellation of meeting to student and TLP office.
- For each meeting, sign in and out (and remind students to do the same) in the sign-in book at the TLP office.
- Keep TLP informed of progress by submitting monthly report forms by the 5th of the next month.
- Each month, sign up on a room assignment sheet.
" I am happy I met my tutor. When I came to Ithaca, I could speak in short sentences. Now I speak in longer sentences. I learned new vocabulary and all about American culture."
Kyungjin, ESL Student